Thread: MuIN USB: Cannot program via ICSP

MuIN USB: Cannot program via ICSP

I have a PicKit 2 ICSP programmer, working like a charm with the 990.005 board. An I can also program an USB boot loader or other small programs.

But with mine, which is still small enough to fit into the flash memory I get an error with different but higher addresses like seen below.

It is not the PIC, I have inserted a brand new with same result. And the board has nothing connected to it, no servos, no IO pins, nothing. And even if, why does it fail at larger addresses?? I would have expected it works or it doesn't

Any idea what to check?

Programming Target (30.03.2011 19:34:18)
    PIC18F2550 found (Rev 0x7)
    Reading Device EEPROM Memory Existing Contents
    Erasing Target
    Programming Program Memory (0x0 - 0x6B3F)
    Verifying Program Memory (0x0 - 0x6B3F)
    PK2Error0027: Failed verify (Address = 0x421A - Expected Value 0xE02 - Value Read 0x0)
    PICkit 2 Ready

This is a strange error.
    Post the hex of your program so that I can test it and try to trace the cause of the error.

USB Device - CDC - Basic Demo - C18 - PICDEM FSUSB.zip

Here you go

Note, the program cannot work as it has the vector reset, but programming it via ICSP should still not fail. Agreed?
    If you don't, I can resubmit one which should work without bootloader.

I tried to load your hex MuIn on USB, the operation is successful with no errors.
    Since it is impossible to be a hardware problem I think it's a problem with the PICkit 2, which version of MPLAB are you using?.

I forgot, the cable between the PICkit 2 and MuIn USB how long?
    Cables unsuitable or too long can cause the error you're experiencing.

Thanks, I bought a new PicKit 3 programmer and it is working fine. So obviously something wrong with my PicKit 2 device which shows up only with larger program code.

Happy to hear everything it's OK!